Friday, August 31, 2012

Instrument Procedures

You may have noticed that I have had a number of posts regarding Kindergarten:


This is because I find them the most challenging to plan for out of any grade I teach.  Every little detail of my lessons have to be thought out; down to how I will explain activities, demonstrate concepts and move from one part of the room to the other.  I love my Kindergartners (for 45 minutes at a time) but man do they wipe me out.  :)

Anyway, this year I have finally refined my instrument procedures to a point I am very comfortable with and that seems to work well with the kids.

Instrument Positions:
1. Waiting = instrument on the floor, hands in our laps.
2.  Resting = instrument on our knees, waiting to play.
3.  Playing = holding the instrument with the proper technique.

Resting Position

The first row of kids sitting like "Nicki"(they named the girl on my Good Listener Poster) get their instruments.

Walking Position 
(Sorry for the blur, my phone doesn't do so well with a moving target!)

When we are all done, we put our instruments away using walking position.  I think it is important for students to learn this responsibility.  Instruments are not toys and we need to make sure that we put them away carefully and that they are stored properly so that they do not get lost or broken.


2 comments:

  1. Hello! In this blog article did you base on any studies or here are solely your private ideas? Thank you very much in advance for your reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are my thoughts on instrument procedures. I think this exact process was a decision I made one morning 10 minutes before my K kids arrived and it worked.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on this post! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...