Sunday, July 21, 2013

Recorder Karate Belts

While my kids were doing centers during the last rotation, I kept my hands busy cutting Recorder Karate belts for next year.  I normally don't do this for the kids, I usually have them cut them, but after seeing Lauren's post on Rhythm and Glues, I decided it was time for a change.  I'm excited about how this will simplify getting belts next year!


I had some empty ice cream containers from an end of the year celebration and I divided them up using pieces of cardboard.  Each belt is 7 inches long, which I think will be a good length for little fingers trying to double knot them around a recorder.

This would be a great project to work on during pre-planning meetings.  I  know that your supposed to go ready to focus and direct all of your attention to the meetings but that makes me antsy.  I can't just sit in a meeting, I lose focus.  A project like this keeps my fingers busy and helps my mind focus.  Yeah, I was one of those kids!  :)

10 comments:

  1. YESSSSSSSSSS! So worth it! Sometimes we end up playing recorders in the computer lab or another place on campus - I love my portable belt bucket! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! I hadn't thought that far ahead. Last year I had to take materials with me to the classroom during FCAT testing. The buckets are going to make things so much more mobile! :)

      Delete
    2. I've been admiring Rhythm & Glues' belt bucket since I saw it in their blog last year. I started keeping my pre-cut belts in a basket this year, but I never got around to making the dividers. I absolutely must take care of that this year! And, yes, being portable is awesome. Sometimes I take my class outside and let them practice in small groups while I listen for belts. It's so nice to be able to grab one container and know I have all the belts I will need.

      When I cut belts, I wrap yarn around a book 5-10 times, then slide the yarn off and cut the loops at each end. Instant belts! And so quick and easy! Just find a book that is the right size for the belt length you prefer. I used a music textbook to do the trick, since there is always one handy. :)

      Delete
    3. I love the idea of using a book to measure out the belts. I'll have to remember that for the next time I cut them.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We require all the more such articles that we can read with such excitement.
    top-5-best-gait-belts

    ReplyDelete
  4. The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought you have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could fix if you werent too busy looking for attention. Music Production Courses

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was among the best posts and episode from your team it let me learn many new things. DVJ Courses

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on this post! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...