I try to keep my desk stocked with things I know I will need throughout the year to keep me healthy and happy. Below are some of the things I keep in my desk and why.
1. Band-Aids: My husband says I'm as graceful as a newborn giraffe (well without the height). I'm constantly bumping into things or bashing my finger in something, so I like to keep some good quality band-aids in my drawer.
2. Excedrin and Tums: Ever try to teach recorders with a pounding headache or dance around with kindergartners on an upset stomach? Enough said?
3. Vitamins and Allergy Medication: Usually my breakfast happens while I skim through my email before morning duty. I always keep vitamins with me so that I can stay healthy with all of those germy kids roaming around. :) It's not easy to teach if your sneezing up a storm, so I keep some allergy medicine with me as well.
4. Plates, Napkins and Plastic Utensils: This Girl has gotta eat! If I don't eat I get kinda mean, so I always make sure to keep these things around just in case. Nothing is more annoying than having a cup of yogurt but no spoon to eat it with.
5. Body Spray: Some of those back to school days in August are HOT!!! Florida humidity is no joke and when I come in from morning arrival I need a bit of freshening up. It's also nice to have to spritz on before an after school event. Makes me feel a bit better.
6. Hair Products: Frizz-Ease to combat the Florida heat and hair ties when I just need to pull it all back. It's especially great to have an extra hair tie when I forget to pull it back on a movement day or when I'm setting the stage after school.
7. Lint Roller - I don't know what it is but sometimes I look down at my slacks at lunch and it's like I rolled through a ball of lint.
8. Feminine Items - Keep some in a nice little bag just in case.
9. Mouthwash (not pictured here): I don't want to kill my kids after lunch, so it's good to rinse quickly before afternoon classes.
10. Lotion (not pictured here): For after washing recorders for the millionth time that week. :)
11. Chapstick: I can not live without some sort of lip balm, so I always make sure to have one in my desk.
12. Note Cards - My cousin gave me these cute personalized gift cards. I always keep a bunch in my desk. You never know when you will need one for a parent, colleague or student.
What do you have in your classroom to keep you happy and healthy?