Monday, August 26, 2013

A LOT more energy!

Bear with me....this may not seem like a music education related post but I promise it does have a connection.

Last year I noticed myself becoming more and more sluggish throughout the day and, hate to say it, things started to fit a bit more, let's say, snuggly.  I'm only 29, so there really is no reason for me to finish a day of teaching and feel like I need to flop onto the nearest couch and recover for 5 hours after work.

In the middle of July, I had enough of my lethargic, lazy self and decided to do something about it.  I'm not one for gyms or, god bless me, jogging!  I loathe the word jog, it is the most horrible form of exercise in my opinion.  My husband teases me about the fact that if the word so much as passes his lips I flop into a 3 year old pathetic, tear filled tantrum.  Sad but true!  :) So, I had to find something that worked for me.

Hello Zumba!  I didn't start going to the gym but I did get myself a copy of Zumba 5.  I LOVE it!  It combines the exercise I need with dance.  While I am no dancer, a glimpse in the mirror recently proved that, it does get my heart rate up and I'm a panting, sweaty, happy mess by the end.

You're probably starting to wonder where the music education connection is.....Well,


  • I have energy!  Which means that my last class of the day no longer suffers from Mrs. Quezada in a fog.  I still have plenty of energy for whatever we are working on.  


  • I can move!  It's my job to teach all aspects of music, including the use of movement to music. Last year there were times when I didn't feel like I could get through an entire piece without being winded.  I don't always do the entire movement activity with my kids because I want them to listen to the musical cues but I do want to be able to get through the introduction and practice. Plus, when we do folk dance, I may have to be someone's partner or I may just want to enjoy moving and having fun with my kids.


  • I'm happier!  I leave school at the end of the day on a good note.  Kids suck a ton of energy out of you (it's true, I love them so much, but they do!) and when you have no energy to begin with it feels awful.  I would leave at the end of the day completely drained.
I'm not in anyway paid by Zumba, I just wanted to share how this little change has impacted my teaching.  Below are some of the great Zumba videos I have found online and do on days when I can't fit in a 40 to 60 minute workout.  A couple of these and I'm on my way.  

This is a good video to start with. 

This one is good for the inner thigh, at least that's where I felt it.  This girl has a ton of videos.

I can't get through the leg thing without laughing.  Try it, see if you can get through it without laughing!

Note = I have the benefit of 12 years of being immersed in a Latin culture.  My husbands family is Dominican and he has a few cousins who are of Panamanian descent.  I have had the opportunity to learn basic salsa, merengue, and cumbia steps.  I did find that knowing these steps made some of the workouts easier for me.  You may want to check out some simpler videos with these steps or check out the Zumba series because it may be helpful before diving in.  

I'm excited to share some new resources and movement ideas with you.  More posts planned soon!

2 comments:

  1. I love Zumba! I am going into my 3rd year doing it which says A LOT for me! But I finally found something I enjoy and it is fun! :) Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the hardest part is finding something that works for you. I never feel like I don't want to do Zumba. There are days when I don't get to it but it's never because it doesn't sound like fun.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on this post! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...